AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Thursday, March 15, 2007

No Munchkin Land

Well, it has been interesting weather in Avon lately. The most interesting was our tornado warning yesterday. I really can't remember the last time we had a warning. We have had hundreds of watches but no warnings!

Wednesday evening I was home with Paige and Trent. Mike had taken Austin and his mother to see Lutheran West play basketball in Canton. As usual, I was missing the fun. Little did I know, but the evening would get very interesting. My friend, Jen called to see if I had the kids in the basement. WHAT? "You have a tornado warning!" UGH....As soon as I hung up the phone, the new weather sirens installed in Avon began to sound, so I took the kids to the basement......and it was pitiful. Trent just burst into tears.

Now, this was no surprise....the whole Trent crying thing. You see, I come from a long history of storm fear. My grandmother (sweetest woman you would EVER meet) was terrified of storms. She actually kept a bag complete with insurance information and crackers to take into the basement for each storm. She even told me a story that her mother had went to the well (at a very young age), got struck by lightening and had grey hair for life. Is this true? I have no idea. But when you are young...that grey hair thing can freak you out! Anyhow, my mother was infamous for making us all pile into our shower or lay behind our familyroom couch (as dad watched the storms out the window). Then, of course, there is the 4th of July tornado by Cascade Park when we were young. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate thunderstorms....UNLESS THEY ARE ACCOMPANIED BY WIND.

So, you get the picture. Trent comes by this honestly. Well, this poor kid was all over the place. "Will I ever play sports again?" and "Where will we live if our house falls down?" Thank goodness, Paige was in control. She sat him down and taught him how to play Scrabble.

After we came back upstairs, I checked outside and we did NOT land on a witch. There were no flying monkeys and no scottie dogs. We were not in muchkinland. I didn't get to sleep on a bed of poppies....but I did get to share some snoozetime with one frightened little 7 year old. Paybacks I guess, for all those nights between mom and dad.

1 comment:

Looneybin4me said...

Popies are spelled poppies, dear.
Thought you were saying something else pretty smelly. LOL