AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My Life As Erma


Do you know Erma? Erma Bombeck? I love this woman. I am probably dating myself considering she has been dead for quite some time. But everything Erma said always contained three things: 1) wisdom, 2) an element of truth and 3) humor. My mom loved Erma Bombeck and I inherited that love.

Today I was reading some of Erma's old writings. I would read a few minutes and then clean a few minutes. Somehow, I also managed to take a few pictures of some of the "ordinary" scenes around my house. I took a picture of this laundry basket that never seems to be empty. It never makes its way BACK upstairs. It is almost a permenant fixture outside of my laundry room. Basically....it is annoying. Then, I read a quote by Erma that I thought was SO what I needed to hear:
"My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch on fire or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one cares. Why should you?

Aaahhhhh........relaxing, isn't it? That gave me peace for approximately two minutes and then back to more cleaning.

To all my friends out there....I APPLAUDE YOU. Many work out of the home. Many are housewives or have an in-home business. You are the caretakers of children and husbands. You are nursing elderly parents. You manage a household and finances. You try to make time for friends, hobbies and maybe even a little sanity. You try to give dignity to a job that isn't always dignified in our society.

That being said, I guess I will close with one more "Erma Quote": "Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart."

Hugs to Pam, Trish, Jen, Barb, Nic, Jenn, Erika, Marty, Karen, Marilyn and anyone else I may have skipped who are just trying to "get it right and make it work."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to be Erma Bombeck actually tried to get my mom to take me to Chicago so that I could go to the Phil Donahue show and see Erma. I cried hard when she died. Love you! Jen

Looneybin4me said...

Thanks for such great words of your wisdom...Love you, Pam
P.S.trent really captured your good side in the picture.LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ode to women...as I am off to the gym, run errands, get kids to and from school, clean bathrooms, vaccum, empty the full dishwasher that is to full so I may have to take some out and re-run, laundry, ohh yeah and clean up the animal plops outside...Great day...It is easier when I go to work...

Peace Out

Erika