AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Do You Remember Jr. High?


If or when you have a child in junior high, the trauma (and I mean TRAUMA) of the experience brings many memories rushing back to you. I wasn't particularly impressed with junior high. I never considered myself anywhere near popular. I liked to be quiet and fade into the background. Don't get me wrong, I had my friends. I just never seemed to be the "it" girl, although there were many days I wished I was the "it" girl. Of course, getting the chicken pox in seventh grade didn't help. Looking back, I KNOW it had to have taken two years for those chicken pox to go away.


More than chicken pox, my downfall was my skin. UGH. I fought acne until I was blue. And, of course, there were always the few "wonderful" children I went to school with who always had to mention my acne or create a new nickname for me.


Well, I grew out of it. BUT, a part of me won't forget it. And I know that is why I wear foundation EVERY DAY before I leave the house. As for the people who had all those comments....well, I have wished many things on them over the years such as burning yeast infections and male patterned baldness. Now, I mostly feel sorry for them. I feel bad that they didn't like themselves enough to look deeper at people.


Forward to 2007. My beautiful daughter is living my life. Only this time it isn't acne, it is her shape. Now, you know what? I LOVE HER SHAPE. Granted, when she went on her medication it put some weight on her, but she has worked most of that off! Now, if you know us Bursley girls, we aren't known for being tiny. We tend to have more healthy, athletic builds, as does Paige. But, for some, that isn't good enough and so the teasing has begun. And, it is vicious stuff, I tell you. Rail thin must be the rage, because my daughter is being teased at every turn.


I don't want her to turn into a hateful person. More than that, I don't want her to hate herself. She is beautiful inside and out and she needs to believe that. But she is believeing these kids.


So, my friends. Any suggestions? I have tried talking to the teachers and principal and I even cornered a few in the halls myself. And these kids are just bold enough to keep it up. UNBELIEVEABLE.


Think back to your insecure junior high days. Got any pointers?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to quote the great Justin Tim. What comes around goes around.

I had the wonderful nickname in 5th grade - 8th grade as Erikow
pronounced erik cow. yeah it was wonderful...I totally ignored it...Felt as if I would NEVER have a Boyfriend...Never would be popular...
and the sad part was I was a size 7. Might even kill for that size today.

Some kids/people are bullys that is their lifes calling.

You can fall into arguing with them...that is what they want. I choose to Ignore! And it worked...I had my close friends.
Played all kinds sports. But I was always me...I can't change how I am and how I feel.

Well later came 9th grade...WHooo WHOooo That you Lord for High School...Suddenly entering a school where there were many more kids and their older...who have never gone to school with you. Really worked to my Big Chested advantage. Not to say that they did not listen to my words but FOR ONCE...FOR ONCE I turned a Few heads walking down the hall!

Now lets go to 10 th grade...I met a cute boy at church ...who did not go to my school whom never heard of ERIKOW....And he soon be came the ONE...We all know him as J.R.

And for the What goes around comes around...

Some of those people who liked to do the name calling.

I hope that he liked all the years he wasted being mean because he had a short life and passed away at 21....took it in his own hands and well you know...I feel sorry for him that he never saw any good in life...he may had been happier.

Some of the girls...now are fat...I mean way past their size 3 I am surprised they are mobile.
Divorced, have terrible jobs...in jail...you think of something terrible it has happened to them.


Know the kicker....Erika present day...Love Life, family, friends. Have a Wonderful Husband and 2 kids. Can do what I want when I want...Have no $ issues. Life is Good.

And surprisingly I have way beter confidence and self esteem than ever! Considering I weigh more and am a size 14.

So for all those who judged earlier in my life.

What comes around goes around!! Karma people Karma.

So that's my advice.

Sorry for any type-os and for taking up so much space.

Erika

Looneybin4me said...

I agree with Erika, but I know that when it is your own kid, it is so hard to sit on the sidelines and watch them suffer. Why are the kids today So VICIOUS??? What a commentary on our society. Do they have "operation keepsake"at their school? One of the first lessons that they teach is about respect of diversity and respect of other people.
I love Paige just as she is, she is perfect to me. I wonder why the other girls are so jealous of her to tear her apart like this...some in the name of friendship...with friends like that, who needs enemies?...
I think we need to teach Paige the well honed craft of wishing vericose veins on someone...

By the way, this Bursley girl is way more than athletic...wouldn't have had the surgery last week if I was athletic.