AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Budda Bank

Today my father stopped by in the midst of all my chaos. Paige and I leave EARLY tomorrow for her Ohio trip. We will return late on Friday. Trent has strep throat today so we had to make a trip to the doctor's office in Lorain. Finals begin tomorrow for Austin and he is having a friend over to study and, of course, watch the Cavs game. Did I mention I need to have a snack prepared for his baseball team and I need to shop for a few last odds and ends?

Anyway, when Dad stopped by he was talking about making a list of the items he wanted each of us to have when he dies. Nice topic, eh? Personally, I HATE to talk about divideing someone's possessions when they are standing in front of you. But, Dad wanted to know what I wanted of his when he is gone. We discussed all his furniture, pictures, dishes, etc. But all I could think about was his Budda bank. A Budda bank, you ask?

Yes. My father, the mighty Lutheran has a Budda bank. Maybe it is a monk, but I really think it is Budda. It was given to him when I was young. I think it MAY have been given by our pastor. (Odd twist, don't you think?) Anyhow, Dad couldn't figure out why I wanted the bank and neither could I. Except for one thing......it reminded me of him. Okay, not that he LOOKS like Budda, but that he has this cool sense of humor. He also has an awesome acceptance of almost everyone he meets. And, or course, he is spiritual. (Wait, I should also mention he is tight fisted with the cash and DEFINATELY saves all his pennies!)

I like odd things. I like sentimental items. As Dad and I discussed, I like the squeaky metal glider from grandma's front porch. I like the metallic Christmas trees with the color wheels. And I MAY have found a place for the ceramic black panther that was perched on top of my Grandmother's television for years.

I don't have an interest in the most expensive item, your useless cash or your jewels. Sounds odd, I know. But I'm sticking with Budda.

So, if you had to have ONE item from your parents....what would you pick?

"It is strange that while praying, we seldom ask for a change of character, but always a change of circumstances." - Anonymous

No comments: