AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Could You???

Hey, I posted three times today! I have all kinds of crazy thoughts running through my head today, so I guess it is best to blog them while they are fresh!

Today I was talking with Trish and we were thinking back to our childhood and our memories of growing up. This question came to mind.

If you had to down-size....REALLY downsize, do you think you could handle it?

My answer is YES! Absolutely. I have come to realize that although I love my house, I don't LOVE my house. I love the people in it. And yes, I will even admit that I love some of the possessions inside the house. But most things, I could live without. I attribute this to my value system. Somehow we have gotten away from simplicity and have put all our efforts into achieving. It is kind of sad.

When we were growing up (as I stated before) we weren't rolling in cash. But I have some really cool memories about growing up WITHOUT CASH! For example, I remember asking my dad for a belt. He went to the garage, got a piece of rope, burnt the ends , put it through my belt loops, tied some "boy scout" knot and away I went. I TOTALLY have a vivd memory of that and my dad probably doesn't even remember!

I also remember my mom making us stuffed animals. She would buy the least expensive fabric, fill them and make tails, manes, etc. from left-over yarns. I remember having a horse made out of the left over fabric mom used to make a dress that Pam wore for my Aunt Linda's wedding. Mom was also great at making Barbie clothes. They were so intricate, they even had tiny buttons down the front. I never missed having a store-bought Barbie outfit.

Do you remember the fine art of Macreme'? I think ALL my friends had owls or elaborate wall hangings displayed in their houses that were created by their moms. Remember the dolls with croche' skirts that fit inside toilet paper rolls? Have you ever received a Lilt Home perm? Did you ever brush with baking soda?

Do you know that I never had a large, elaborate wooden swingset (although MY children have)? We had a metal swingset that would thump from the leg lifting everytime we would swing too high. We would have to be careful not to cut ourselves if there were raw edges exposed and rusty.

The only people I knew with a gardener was The Brady kids (ala Brady Bunch). You never hired someone to paint your house or to be an exterminator. Bees were a part of life and you could count on someone getting stung at least once each summer.

We did have a treat each week. On Friday nights, dad would take us to McDonalds while mom worked at the hospital. We never ate IN McDonalds, but sat in the back of the car in the parking lot. There were no drive-thru windows. People actually got out of their cars EVERYTIME and went into McDonalds to place their order. I always received a plain hamburger, a small fry and a small orange drink. NO HAPPY MEALS. No such thing.....but we were happy! Otherwise, we didn't eat out that much except for a fish dinner on Good Friday.

Did you ever knot the ends of dandilions together to make crowns? Did you have to pull a chair up in front of the sink to wash dishes? NO DISHWASHERS!

Do you remember only having three television stations? I remember WAITING for Wild Kingdom and Disney every Sunday at 7:00 p.m. I can even remember my mom teaching me how to pin a cloth diaper onto our dolls for future reference (wink, wink).


I think my dad phrased it best. He told me that he was always clothed and never went hungry. God always took care of his needs. Not always his wants, but always his needs.

Therefore, I think I have faith in God enough to ALWAYS take care of my needs.

Yep, I can down-size.

4 comments:

Jen Forbus said...

Val, what an awesome post! I'm so with you on this one, girl! My dad was a steel worker when I was little and lost his job in the 80s from all the lay offs. We had an old tv that the picture tube was going on...we didn't get a new one, we waited for it to come on every time. If a show came on at 8, we'd turn the tv on at 7:45 to make sure the picture was on by 8! :) I had the aluminum swing set, too...and a bicycle that had to be pedalled - no motors in my bikes! My mom didn't sew, but she was the QUEEN of the garage sales and coupons!! And my dad fixed everything - we never hired someone to come and fix what needed fixing. We didn't have fancy meals, but we ate together as a family. And this I remember so vividly - we didn't have any air conditioning. My mom would close the front windows and curtains in the morning and then in the afternoon, the back curtains and windows. This, she explained, trapped the cool air from the night in the house and kept the heat from the sun out. I do that to this day to minimize how much I have to run the air conditioner! We did without a lot growing up, and I don't think any of us are worse for the wear! :) Loved the post, Val! :)

Trish said...

Val, I loved this one too! And while you and I had many similar experiences, I have to differ with you in one respect...

I could live without the house we live in now. But NOT the patio. I've always loved to garden and to be out IN the yard, and now that I've FINALLY got the patio I've always wanted, I'm not parting with it. LOL! It is almost the square footage of my first house in Eastern Heights--I could put up a tent right outside and be happy as a clam! :) (Okay, let me just enjoy it for now--)

Seriously, you made me remember lots of good stuff today, and I love your perspective...

Looneybin4me said...

OK...you made me cry with this one (NO not something new....)
It was sad to think back to those days and realize that my kids do not know what it is like to go without, and for that I am thankful, but I wonder if they would be as appreciative as we are now. Mom and Dad never let us think that we went without. How about a tent set up on the Meredith's clothes line? How about mom making us "dough boys" with left over pie dough.
Dad would take care of us all evening while mom was at work, we would stand on chairs to do the dishes...dad would read us the stories from "Little visits with God"...I loved that book...
Thanks for the memories....

Trish said...

Pam--

When Val was over yesterday, she totally told me about the dough boys! How sweet!

And now I am one. ha ha ha...