AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Jenny

I have a friend named Jenny. When I first met Jenny, I thought she was a little quirky, yet sweet. Jenny is physically a very pretty woman. She is a loving mother and wife. She is an excellent homemaker. AND she is an excellent health care worker. Jenny just cares about everything she does.

In the fall of 1999 ( I believe) Jenny and I chaperoned a trip downtown for our kids. Our two children were friends and were taking a trip to see News Channel 5 in downtown Cleveland. Now, if you know anything about that area of town, there are MANY homeless people in that section. I worked in downtown Cleveland for over 10 years. Seeing homeless was nothing new for me. I had always felt sympathy for them. Yet, in all truth, I never really DID anything about it.....until Jenny.

The day of our trip, I arrived in the morning at Jenny's house, ready to venture out for some fun. When I walked in Jenny was in the process of packing a large box with brown bag lunches. Jenny had made lunches for the homeless downtown. Little did I know, but our adventure would be MUCH more than a trip to News Channel 5.

That morning we spent two hours driving around downtown seeking out the homeless and placing lunches near their bodies, sleeping on the ground, covered in blankets. Some were awake, waiting to be acknowledged. Some just wanted a conversation...with anyone. Jenny delivered every lunch with a simple message. First she would ask "are you okay"? Then she would hand them a lunch and tell them that someone cared about them.

That day both Austin and I learned so much. We learned that being homeless not only meant a lack of shelter. Most often it ALSO meant a lack of respect, conversation, compassion and dignity. The homeless feel ignored to the point of feeling invisible. They want to be treated as if they matter and have a purpose. They want decency.

I won't lie to you, when we first handed out lunches both Austin and I were uncomfortable. We didn't know what to expect. But we both realized that in order to make a difference, we have to put ourselves aside. The world can't be about ME! Secondly, you have to stop judging people. Even those less fortunate than you or I have the same needs and desires as we do.

We did make our trip to News Channel 5 that day. But on the way home, it wasn't our TV appearance that was the topic of conversation. We all (kids included) talked about the people we had met on the street and the experience we shared.

I have come to realize that my life is a gift of grace. I am blessed to not only live in the U.S., but to have been born in the family I was and to have married into the family I now share. I could easily have been the orphan or the homeless woman owning only a blanket or shopping cart. I will not take that for granted.

Everyone I know lives in excess at times. Maybe it's multiple trips to Disney. Maybe it's a Christmas tree loaded with presents. Maybe it's indulging in a hobby too much. Whatever your poison, perhaps there should come a time to put it aside and do what's right. Don't make it...about you.




"At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by 'I was hungry and you gave me to eat, I was naked and you clothed me, I was homeless and you took me in.'Hungry not only for bread -- but hungry for love. Naked not only for clothing -- but naked for human dignity and respect. Homeless not only for want of a room of bricks -- but homeless because of rejection." ~ Mother Teresa

2 comments:

Trish said...

I love how you have such a big heart--and that is a testimony to the way your parents raised you. Great post!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

very touching story!