AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Sunday, April 1, 2007

$65, 40 burritos, and fundraising.

Our weekend started with a bang. Mike came home with a temp. of 102.0 on Friday. His fever finally broke this morning, although it looks like it may come back. Keep in mind, my dear friend Jen has the "flu" also. I WILL be checking into this. LOL! Actually, he really was of little help this weekend. Although he did muster up the strength to cheer Ohio State to victory and to complain of any noise during the game.

On Saturday, Trish once again managed to be an enabler. She had told me about these great cookie cutters on sale at William Sonoma for $11.99. I came home $65.00 later. I got, NOT ONLY, the Easter cookie cutters, but an adorable rabbit cake mold and a sifter. How have I baked from scratch all these years with no sifter? Anyhow, LOVE William Sonoma. I walk in the door and I immedately want to cook and bake. It is heaven on earth. Plus, lately I am really enjoying being in the kitchen cooking and baking.

Saturday evening was fun, as usual. AND I made an amazing discovery. It is actually more expensive to break up with someone than to date. Really! You see, in the interest of having Austin spend more time with the guys, we once again entertained the whole "posse" this weekend. And all I must say is 40 burritos. You heard me.....40 burritos. Thats what we had to buy to feed the guys. Let this be a warning to all mothers of young boys. And who said movies and dinner were expensive? Prom? Nothing! But having these boys over every weekend.........

Lastly, LOVED seeing Ali Edward's success at raising money for Autism Speaks on SixDegrees.com. And, I was not surprised to see that Trish had donated prizes for the occasion. So her.......What I have come to know (in my ripe old age) is this: You never know until it hits you and no one is exempt. You see, many of us grumble when we are "constantly" asked for a donation. Maybe you get sick of seeing the "pitiful" commercials on TV. But, until it hits your home...your front door, you may never get it. I would jump at the chance to make a difference for those with Alzheimers or OCD. You know why? I have had a taste. Maybe you haven't. I pray you never do. But think of the odds. If 1 in 10 boys gets Autism, it may not be your son. But it could easily be your grandchild. Maybe your situation won't be a mental disorder. Maybe it will be an addiction or a chronic illness. It may be abuse or a learning disability. But I do know one thing.....once you watch someone you love suffer, you will use every avenue to put an end to the pain. And for that...I applaude Ali. What a waste it would be for her to have an opportunity to make a difference and let it pass.

{{Jumping down off my soapbox....}} Do something good today!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

ok...another Val post that brought a tear to my eye.

maybe i'm just emotional today. maybe it's the fact that i have to go back to work tomorrow. maybe it's just that i still miss my dad terribly...12 years later it still stings like it was only yesterday. and so yes, Val...i understand completely what you mean about 'until it hits you'. you have no idea how hard it is to work in the environment i do. taking care of people with the same illness that Dad had...and knowing what their families will be going through. i wish everyday for a solution...a resolution to brain cancer. and i'd give every dime i had if there was something to do about it.

love you, girlie...see you friday =)

Anonymous said...

1. Thank you for always being my cheerleader. Love you.
2. The bunny mold! Can't wait to borrow it. I am thinking seriously about the beehive one...
3. Burritos. Man. All I can think of is the noxious odor that must have been emitted afterwards.
4. I need to get a REAL job now and save $$ for when the boys start to really eat.
5. I heard Jen was in Youngstown. Gather more evidence.
6. Did I already say I loved you?
Trish