AND I DO QUOTE:

The cross is the greatest example of humility and devotion in the universe. Jesus put your needs ahead of His own. He considered you more valuable than Himself. - Chip Ingram

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Love/Hate Relationship








I, Valerie Blackburn have a love/hate relationship with sports.



I love, love, love to watch my kids play sports. I think it is soooo important that kids be in physical activity. Game playing is awesome and learning to work and get along with other kids is always a major plus.



I am not the most athletic person and I was raised in a family of mostly girls, so maybe that taints my view. But I have started to notice that in ALL of my kids sports activities there is just some WRONG things going on. From Austin's age on down.



Why, when your child is 7 years old, do parents have to scream at their child playing coach-pitch (as if it was major league baseball)? Why do kids have to insult their team members or tell them how they should be playing? Why do some parents think its the ultimate that their kids "get a sports scholarship"? Why can't kids just play? Why does it always have to be such a big deal?



I had to get that off my chest! With that being said...I have posted some pictures of Trent at coach-pitch. I don't see us signing with the Indians anytime soon. Okay, I love this kid more than air but he runs like cement blocks are tied to his feet. We plan on taking him to the pediatric podiatrist soon (flat feet) to have arches made to see if that will help with his foot pain, etc. The good news is....if heart makes up for ability, this kids will play in the major leagues. He loves baseball and he is busy collecting cards and memorizing stats. Love his brain....


4 comments:

Chris said...

Oh Val...I feel the same!! I am so worried about this with Nicholas and the sports he may be involved in! We already had an episode last year at soccer.... this was a group of 4 YEAR OLDS!!!!! YIKES!!!

Chris said...

I forgot to also mention how grown-up and handsome Trent looks!!!!

xoxoxoxox!!!!!

Looneybin4me said...

Mostly girls? I never had a brother...don't know what house you grew up in...LOL
I always love to see my kids participate in any group activity...

Parents do not understand the concept of "learning a sport". I remember in little league when one parent persued another to the local Dairy Queen to argue...

Love our Trent...

Valerie said...

uMMMM...If I remember correctly, our father is a MALE!